Monday, November 28, 2011

It Comes Up Love

A Movie Review by Magdalen Aithne Arkwright

Good girls fall for bad boys - this is an age old rule.  And Ricky is just the guy to make Victoria come down from her high horse.

Victoria and Constance Peabody have been living with their strict and stuffy grandmother while they were attending boarding school and Victoria has grown into a stuffy young lady.  Now Victoria is too old for the school and the girls are coming home to their father, who is as nervous as a fish out of water.  He seeks help from his co-worker Edo Ives but the girls resent her.

Mrs. Winthrop is a widow with her sights set on Tom Peabody, and she's well aware that Edo Ives is competition.  Mrs. Winthrop lives with her head somewhere in the Victorian age and she highly disapproves of Edo's nephew Ricky for Victoria.  She attempts to have Victoria hang out with her own son Carleton, as a good influence for the both of them.  Unfortunately for her, Victoria and Carleton have other ideas.

Ricky is "so man-of-the-world-ish" that Victoria falls for him instantly, but Victoria is so old-fashioned Ricky doesn't exactly fall for her.  To make matters worse, Mrs. Winthrop and Miss Ives are in a head to head battle over Tom, and at first it appears that headstrong Mrs. Winthrop is winning.  With Mrs. Winthrop's firm way of handling clueless and gullible Tom Peabody, things go from bad to worse.  Edo and Mrs. Winthrop love Tom, Carleton loves Edo, Tom doesn't know who he's in love with, and Victoria loves Ricky.  Does Ricky love Victoria?  Can Ricky and Victoria get the grown-ups straightened out?

Starring Donald O'Connor as Ricky Ives and Gloria Jean as Victoria Peabody, this film is fairly slow for the era.  Some have judged the beginning to drag and the end to come too quick.  Overall, it is amusing and the storyline is united to one end.  'It Comes Up Love' is not the greatest film of its time but it's well-suited to a feel-good afternoon.

Points: 9
Rating: A

~Meggy


*It Comes Up Love - Part 1*

3 comments:

  1. Well, I have to see this one - the main character has my name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's practically midnight, but I wanted to tell you that I just finished this and I really enjoyed it! The ending DID seem a little...headlong, I guess, and I never exactly realized why Ricky started like Victoria (just the makeover? I hope not!) but I didn't find the beginning slow, and overall I liked it. Thanks for introducing me to Donald O'Connor now! I'm gonna have to watch more of the films you've reviewed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! It's not perfect, but overall, it's one of my favorites. XD

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...