Sunday, June 24, 2012

Victoria (18)

    Aritka shifted the dozing child in her arms.  “What am I to do with the child when we get to the city?” she asked, as he led the way onward.  “I know you would not be able to sell me if I was seen with a child.”
    The black rider turned and looked into her eyes.  “You resent me,” he said simply.
    “Yes,” said she, “greatly.”
    “Let me ask,” he said, pausing in their journey to discuss.  “When the men of your village brought girls from elsewhere, did you resent your people?”
    “No,” she said.  He might have continued, but she added, “No, let me finish.  I did not resent my own people because my pride in my people blinded me.  I was foolish – I admit that.  I never thought on the issue before.  When I was young, I resented it when I saw my kinswomen taken by other tribes, but I thought not on the women my own people abducted.  I know that now.”
    “Then you have become wiser,” he said, striding forward.
    She followed.  “No, I have become more knowledgeable,” she said, “of my own foolishness.”
    “It is true that wisdom does not always accompany knowledge,” said the black rider, “but I believe it does knowledge of this kind.”




To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...