Friday, June 29, 2012

Learning to be Like Your Favorite Characters* series explained

 *Note: The name of this series has been changed to 'Supplementing Your Summer'  The following still applies in so far as we will be examining our favorite characters (7/5/12)

First, if you haven't already read it, you should reference http://magicinkanddreams.blogspot.com/2012/06/scots-elves-rangers-oh-my.html.

What is it that I am trying to accomplish exactly?  I am not sure, and I do realize that sounds illogical (my new favorite word).  My mind is saying that I am trying to further develop virtues and good habits in my personality.  My heart, however, is telling me that I am actually trying to be those characters.  This is partially true, and when I am so suddenly fascinated and captivated by them, is it all that surprising?

The truth is, this began when I realized that I haven't been all that I should be lately.  Part of the reason for that is evident by my urgent desire to simply put my head down and close my eyes only a few hours after getting up this morning.  I am tired beyond a reasonable capacity at this point.  Everything I think is fuzzy, everything I do is slurred, and I can't even see clearly across my bedroom anymore (I knew I was nearsighted, but not that much!).  But this is all irrelevant.

I have had past experience emulating people I admire, and I find that, over time, I have been quite successful in ways that I did not expect.  In trying to be more like someone else, I have found myself more deeply.  Mainly, that is because I seem to be incapable of literally being someone else for long periods of time, thank the Lord, and only capable of applying their perspective of life to the incidents in my own life.

This way of approaching life has encouraged my view of my life as a fairytale, but I have come to the conclusion that life does not come that way.  You are a heroine (or hero) only if you want to be.  In many of the pieces of literature I was assigned in high school (was! how weird a feeling), there was a focus on the difference between the protagonist, the antagonist, and the "common man" (for a prime example, read 'A Man for All Seasons').  You can be Saint Thomas, you can be someone like Cromwell or the King, or you can be any one of the numerous people who stood by and watched as life's opportunities passed them by (by opportunities, I mean chances to change history forever and be a hero, not chances to make lots of money and be famous).

You may imagine how excited I get when I begin to pretend to be a fantasy character.  Yes, I see that is what I am doing, pretending.  Perhaps you do not think that is healthy, but it has made me who I am.  It has fueled my interests, made me a stronger person, helped me be more determined in achieving my goals, and I now value many unconventional things because of my wish to be like people I look up to.

I think that is normal.  Do children not imitate their parents?  The fact that I have a melancholic temperament and I connect on a deeper level with characters that are quieter and more reserved, and want to be like them, is just part of a natural process.  My personality sees a deeper, fuller manifestation of itself in others and, in quite a natural and blameless way, wants to be like that.

Do you understand?

Because I am melancholic (and I use the term not, as some do, like a religion but rather to explain my personality to you), I admire characters like Samwise and Frodo, Captain Kirk, and women who plow the way for future generations of women, but I don't have any desire to mature to their level.  I connect with characters like Aragorn, Spock, and the little nun who does things in the background.  I understand where they are coming from.  I could be a leader, and often am because of my place in life, but I prefer to support the leader.  I've got your back.  (A very logical feminine trait, don't you think?)

Being a fanatic about something, especially someone, can be very dangerous, as we have seen, and trying to be just like them is often a problem.  But do you see why it isn't in my case?  First of all, I can, albeit sadly, distinguish the character from the celebrity.  There was one case, only a couple years ago, when I suddenly became attracted to Adam Lambert because of one of his songs.  My actions were suddenly fueled on passion and, well, everything that screams Adam Lambert (or rather, everything that Adam Lambert screams).  Although I was on the brink of making some poor decisions based on my fascination with him, it was not long before I came out of it, and I have learned to be a little more outgoing and confident because of it, but as you can see, I am not an identity-confused punk.  I came out alive, praise be to God.  Because I have a good home and upbringing, my idols, up until that point, were safe and moral people.  As long as you pick virtuous characters and are aware that everyone has their flaws, I think that developing like characteristics is a good thing.

Can you imagine any bad effects of trying to be more like Aragorn in your own life?  Yes.  You could try to carry around knives and swords, dress in strange clothing, abandon everyone who holds you dear, and go for weeks without a proper bath.  (Did anyone besides me think of the era of the hippies?  No offense to hippies meant.)  Obviously, applying "Aragorn" to your life does not mean apply your life to Aragorn.  You are not trying to bring him to life again so he can live in your world.  You are trying to bring his values to your life.  It is the same as a role model such as a Confirmation sponsor, parent, friend, or saint.  Do you think novels are purely for entertainment purposes?  For moral lessons?  I think they speak deeper than that, should teach us something about ourselves, and if they don't, they are rarely worth the time.

I have a few more boring posts in this series to publish which mostly continue the subject of posture so that you and I can acquire a more formidable appearance.  (After all, does your favorite character slouch?!)  After that, I intend to focus mainly on dissecting characters and doing fun things with the insights we discover.  Being who I am, I will probably focus on aforesaid characters but I will try to keep the topics broad.  I might cover anything from picking one main characteristic to work on to skills like archery or herbology.  There will be a general fantasy theme, however.

Whether you are an Aragorn or a Sam, a Luke or a Han, Blanche or a Rose, I think this will be an interesting experience.

~Meggy

(none of the photos are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...