Friday, June 8, 2012

Are you self-centered???

Okay, summer is here, guys.  If you haven't finished school, it's time.  Seriously!  What are you dragging it out for???  Some people intentionally go through the summer and I raise my eyebrow at them, like, really?!?!?!?!?!?!  Let's get real - learning is great, should be done all the time, but you need to take a break from the books and learn other things.  Be more social!  I know kids (and I can turn my head, look out into the hall, and stare at one right now) who get even less social in the summer.  They spend all their recreational time on their computer or on their own.  And then come supper time, they're pretty cranky about interaction with other humanoids.

Now, granted, their precious hobbies are computer bound.  One sibling treats writing like she has a right to do nothing else, and the other designs Lego ships with a design program and makes Lego videos.  But let's get something straight - I love to write.  I love to blog.  I love to find new Sinatra, O'Connor, and Grayson videos on YouTube, and I love to just surf the web (for what, sometimes I don't know).  But it is summer, and it is totally lame to spend your whole day doing what you pretty much have to do in the winter.

So, my dear friends, figure out if you're one of those dull, self-centered people spending a perfectly good day inside and find a new hobby that makes you go outdoors.  You could pull out an old bike, put up a badminton set, find the archery set you gave up on, become the family gardener, or meditate (which Vulcans tell me is best done in solitude).  (Remember, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  Don't take anything you like to do too seriously.  Life is not about you.)

I'm prejudiced, I know.  And I, like many others, scorn philosophies of living that are not my own, but given the effects this dull lifestyle is having on those around me, I'd guess that I've gotten something here.

Another goal for my summer?  Spend a part of every day going out of my way to do something with another person.  Right now, I'm doing it for the easiest person in my family, but I hope that later in the summer, I'll be able to get even the gruffest of family members to spend some time with me.

I apologize if this post is rude or rubs you the wrong way, but I'm in a very good and confident mood.  When I'm in this summery mood, I'm not shy about saying what I know is true about life, even though everyone I've already told vehemently disagrees with me.  What do you think?

~Meggy

3 comments:

  1. I agree, though I am DEFINITELY one of those computer-bound, cranky-at-suppertime people. (And I AM doing school through the summer.) I'd love to do more interactive or outdoorsy things. Only I don't know what. :p I haven't got any friends nearby, and there's only so much I can do on my own. My siblings sort of view me as a boarder more than a sister, so they're out of the question. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. My sister and I are too much alike and she is too loudly opinionated for us to get along, and my brother has hit puberty - ugh. I'm terribly fond of the both of them - I have to be, I'm their older sister! - but they obviously don't give a jot about me. What are we to do, eh? Fortunately, my youngest sister and I, though we clash because I have to become the dictator once in a while, know the power of sisterhood. I just hope the value of family will help us grow closer before college. But I know that I'm part of the problem, so I'm determined to turn this around.

      Delete
  2. Good thoughts. Lol, I don't have *any* siblings like that... no sirree, not one. *smirks*

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...