Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yellowing White

Are your whites turning yellow?  There are dozens of tricks you can find online that depend on the kind of yellowing.  For example, there's the storage-yellowing and there's the body oils-yellowing.

My own sheets were quite disgraceful.  Except for an occasional wash maybe twice a year, my sheets remained on my bed - for years.  Perhaps yours looked like mine - white as white at the bottom and yellow at the top.

Well, regular washing with detergent doesn't get that out - I've realized after many, many years of washing.  Now that spring has set in, I was determined to get some real cleaning done, and that included bright white sheets.  I tried adding bleach in with a regular wash to no success.  But if I had looked it up online, I would known that this method is notorious for not working.  Well, you know what they say about experience anyway.

Some say to let whites soak in oxygen-based bleach in hot water for twenty-four hours, and then wash.  I don't know if there's a difference between the effects of oxygen-based and non-oxygen-based (I assume there is) on fabrics, but anyway, bleach is notorious for damaging or coloring whites.  Some sources said to hang whites in the sun - that may be effective for whites that have yellowed in storage.

But what I tried was a run through the washing machine in hot water with about cup of white vinegar.  Well, I'll just let the results speak for me - white as white from top to bottom of my sheets!  I'm so, so glad.

So if you have yellow sheets, I encourage you to try!  Also, if you have Oxi-Clean, I'd be very interested to know what it does to yellowing whites (with hot water).

~Meggy

3 comments:

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...