Thursday, August 15, 2013

And this is what my summer has come to?

I just finished off the last of the popcorn I made by rubbing it in the extra salt in the bottom of the popper.  My mouth was on fire from the excess of salt.  If for no other reason than that, I'm staying up to chew gum and sort of "purge" my mouth before I get ready for bed.

I found out that, contrary to my proud assumptions, my zucchini, squash, and pumpkin plants were infested by borer insects.  I was very sorry to see that.  I considered trying to save them, but I just won't have time for that kind of surgery – plus the intensive care required after that.  So after taking a closer look at the zucchini plants, which had only produced two fruit and then seemed to give up, I pulled them out.  Much of the squash was in such a state that I gave up any idea of salvaging any of it, although they were producing well.  Everything except the Butternut squash is now gone (Butternut was bred for resistance against these pests).  I was grateful to find that not every pumpkin plant was affected, however, so I performed surgery on the ones I thought were worth saving, and they are now in the IC unit, so to speak, which means close watching, and careful watering, and meticulous protection against adverse weather conditions.

Check out THIS website for details on the pests I'm talking about.  Today, I also saw the second bug mentioned, so I'm anxious to do something about that….

I've only got a little over a week before I go back to Franciscan University.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Speaking of which, I was at work at the barn this morning, and when I went to get paid, Mrs. Contryman said, "I don't suppose you need a fridge.  For college or anything?"  I jumped at the opportunity.  Yes, I need a fridge!  It needs to be cleaned, but now I have a fridge for college!  Sometimes I have to be reminded that God does indeed provide.

This has been a busy week, and next week is going to be busy as well.  And then there'll be the stress of getting to and moving into and adjusting to college.  But it's going to be great.  It's simply going to be a fantastic year.

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...