Friday, March 29, 2013

Christ knows your every imperfection – and He would die all over again just for you

Click HERE for a post on Lent that I wrote last year

Remember a time when you were feeling desolate and lost.  For myself, I don't have to think back very far.  There have been many times when I've felt like I was unwillingly deaf to God's word in my life, when I was desperately waiting to get a hint from God and have peace in my soul.  I know I'm not the only one who has felt that way.  So think about a time when you were lost – struggling and confused.

Now read what I wrote last year on Easter:

Don't take the Resurrection for granted.  People do not rise from the dead, okay?  Particularly people who are scourged beyond reason, exhausted, abused, abandoned, nailed to a cross, and stabbed in the side.  Jesus Christ the Nazarene, Messiah, Son of God, Son of Man - He was put to death by an expert, top-notch Roman system, with no chance for survival whatsoever.

But then, neither did He plan to survive.

Sunday morning, reports come in that the most dead man in the world is back - walking, talking, even eating.  This does not just happen, my friends.  Here are Christ's disciples, His closest friends, regretting everything, questioning everything, feeling lost and hopeless.  Why did it all happen?  What comes next?  The Man has been killed and is gone.  What else is there?  Then Christ appears to them - what are they supposed to think?  Now they're wondering: Why is He back?  What are we supposed to do now?  What does all this mean?

The Resurrection of the most powerful Person ever to walk the earth is a joyous event, make no mistake.  But it is so much more.  It is confusing, it is baffling, it is unbelievable.  Could we really have been any better than poor, legendary Doubting Thomas?

Christ is not a teddy bear.  He is not a kid's show on TV, all cute and touching.  He is mega-powerful.  One of my favorite phrases to describe Him is: "He is not a tame lion."  Jesus does what we expect Him to do only because we grew up with it - it is practically in our DNA.  But it would be completely different if we were the first witnesses.  If we really think about it, I bet we'd be surprised to find Jesus doing what He does.  He is absolutely unpredictable.

Have a blessed Triduum, and may God bless you with every good thing this Easter Sunday,
~Meggy

1 comment:

  1. Hey Magdalen,
    I think you are absolutely head-on about Resurrection.
    That's where Christianity stands. The fact that He went through death like us and fore us and emerged victorious for us!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...