Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas

It is Christmas evening and, as you can see, I have already changed the look of the blog.  The bland, monochromatic look was bugging me so that I was itching for Christmas to be over so that I could change it.  And so here it is!  It is not purple, which rather surprised me, but I did keep the purple title banner.

Christmas began on the 23rd when my paternal grandparents came.  It was curious that they were so anxious to celebrate Christmas with us, especially since we would see them again, at the "Seymour Party" and possibly afterwards or beforehand at their own house.  But I hardly noticed that, because my nana likes to get together with us.  She did seem awfully anxious to distribute gifts, though, and she didn't even jump at our offer to play a game.  Finally, after she had given gifts to her grandchildren, she asked Papa, "Did we forget someone?  Did we forget someone?  We must have left it in the car."  My papa got up, employed the help of my trustworthy-Scout brother, and in a moment, they came back in carrying a 32" Samsung flatscreen!  Wow, that was impressive.  We've had our old TV for perhaps ten years and mostly had no complaints except that sometimes when you pressed the power button the volume turned down instead.  It's really quite impressive.

Even besides that, this Christmas has been perhaps the best in many a year - gift-wise, of course, and one should not judge a Christmas by what one has.  (But still I am very contented and happy this year.)  I got a Thirty-One Gifts upperclassman backpack in harvest plaid, The Midnight Dancers by Regina Doman, some bookmarks and Chai Latte mix, earrings and a bracelet, two $15 gift cards to iTunes, a gift card for Kohls and one for Target, and strongly mint scented soap, Finnish bread, chocolate, and guitar strings from my wonderful fellow-guitarist in the folk group; this was the 23rd and 24th; this morning, I got more chocolate, a clementine, LOTR PEZ dispensers, a small book of manners, a candle that smells like a rootbeer float, a large sketch book, sponge curlers, 'I Love Melvin' (*squeal!!!*), a Thirty-One Gifts umbrella in herringbone spot, 'Bing Crosby: The Voice of Christmas' CD, and a new retractable tape measure (which I need since I do most of the sewing and the old one is trashed).

Then there were a few large presents left.  Okay, time for the big stuff!  And what does Mom put in my lap but a little box about a cubed inch.  The big gifts go in front of my siblings.  "What kind of a gyp is this?!" I say a loud - good-naturedly of course.  Then Mum shoots the starter gun -whatever that's called - and we tear open our presents.  My younger sister by two years gets those boots she wanted.  My younger sister by six years gets a large barn kit for her horses (which she and Dad have recently completed).  My brother, younger by four years, gets his electric guitar (my jaw dropped and I felt the slightest twinge of envy).

For the smallness of my gift, I probably took the longest to get the wrapping off.  Inside was an iPod nano!  OMGosh!  A few months ago, the hand-my-down I got from my dance teacher a few years ago finally died.  I was stranded, trying to scrounge up CDs to listen to - the radio drove me nuts by refusing to play anything of value.  Plus some of the best songs we owned are not on CD because we bought them on iTunes.  I mean, this thing is really about an inch square - and using two fingers you can rotate the screen - it's crazy!  I'm really grateful.  Music is practically my life so this means everything to me - to be able to carry it easily with me.

Of course, the first convenient chance I got, I made my own account (no more using Mum's account where people can access my money for their own stuff) and bought four songs, adding a few more to a wish list, which I'll buy later if I decide I really want them.  I bought the following:





The first and third are glorified versions on the record obviously (longer, fuller, or whatever), but I still love them.

Well, I'd like to upload pictures but the files were incompatible with my program apparently, so I have to do it a little differently - it'll take some time.

So we watched 'Tender Trap' (which I loved), 'The Grinch who Stole Christmas', 'Blue Skies' (I'd like to see Crosby and Astaire in a film where neither of them is a heel and the girl isn't a jerk), and 'Birth of the Blues', and 'I Love Melvin' (which I also loved!).  After dinner of "roast beast" and butternut squash soup (amazingly delicious), we watched the inspiring 'The Nativity Story' and now we're watching an episode of my sister's new season of 'Adam 12'.

Midnight Mass was lovely and we had a good brass section.

I hope youz guyz had a lovely Christmas too, and I hope you tell me all about it.

Well, Merry Christmas
~Meggy

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas!

    I had almost the same experience with my gift from my grandparents. I looked at the package and my sister's matching one, and thought "Great, a little box. Jewelry for sure..." and I am not a big jewelry person. And it was an iPod shuffle! More than I deserved for being so ungrateful... lol.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...