Monday, December 5, 2011

Checking In: Meggy

It was an interesting weekend.

Saturday was busy.  Well, not so much busy as just out-of-the-house.  Mom went out to meet some of her friends for breakfast and the rest of us, after a slow start, met her there mid-morning.  From there, we drove to my maternal grandmother to celebrate her birthday.  She and my mother aren't on the best of terms, but I think they like each other more than they let on - only they're too much alike.  Mom mentioned that we have to leave by one because my brother had places to be, but she added that grandma would probably ask us to help put up the Christmas tree.  I'm now convinced that such a thing wasn't on her mind.  Grandpa Gene had partially convinced her that they had a tree - the lit up one in the backyard across the street.  But I suggested to Mom that we offer to help them so that we didn't get stuck at the last minute.

The tree is one green pole with lots of branches that have to be put on, one by one.  But with three or four of us doing the job, it took only ten minutes, and it was fun.  Then we put the lights on.  My grandmother was so grateful.

As a birthday present, we gave her a Thirty-One Gifts black Organizing Utility Tote with two wine glasses, a bottle of wine, some Christmas plates, and a couple of games.  I was surprised that my grandmother had never played Mastermind.  We taught her and Grandpa Gene how to play and Grandpa Gene picked up on it right away.  Four rounds were played, with various people playing opposite my grandparents, and then we opened the other game, which was a betting game of sorts - could be fun if we ever get it figured out properly.

Sunday was a long after-Mass rehearsal for the folk group.  I play guitar and sing, although my voice was half gone yesterday.  Don't you just love Christmas music?  There's something so beautiful about it.  Anyway, we finally got home, and we ate some baked goods that we often pick up at the country store on the way home, and we watched 'The Toy That Saved Christmas' while my brother and my dad went out to get the tree and pick up a few things.  Then we watched 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' and a few people fell asleep.  After a few minutes, Macbook in lap, I went to YouTube and picked a Donald O'Connor movie at random - 'Yes Sir That's My Baby'.  Volume low.  Soon, the fake-sleeper sister next to me was watching.  Then my nosy sister sitting across the room came over.  Then my mom stirred from her nap and leaned over.  I think my brother might have even joined us.  My dad was less interested and started on dinner.  But a few moments after the movie was over, we were cleaning up and moving furniture to get ready for the tree.  I ran a few trips downstairs to get Christmas decorations.  We got the tree set up and then ate dinner - chicken, yum.

Mom insists that it's tradition to watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' while we decorate the tree.  Well, I can't honestly remember, but I wasn't going to argue - Jimmy Stewart is amazing, isn't he?  And our tree looks lovely, even if my sister and I were the only ones decorating.


Well, anyway, assuming you were all interested in what I had to say about my weekend and are therefore still reading, I have a little more to say :)    :


This song has a lot to say about Prince Charming and true love - listen carefully.  The song would be lovely even without Donald O'Connor.

Which reminds me, if you guys watch a movie I recommend to you, comment on the review or whatever on how you liked it - let me know I'm not wasting my time.  Not that I don't like to review movies, especially when it comes to Donald O'Connor, but the obligation when I don't want to will disappear if I don't think you care.  (that didn't make any sense at all........)


^O'Connor finally makes it off the floor in this one. ;D


A Christmas treat:


What do you think?  Does it feel like Christmas yet?



Merry Christmas
~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...