Friday, June 26, 2015

Why Homosexual Unions are Not Marriage

People generally consider marriage as a certificate and really expensive ceremony that declares to family, friends, and the world: "After a period of time together, we have strong feelings for one another and think we might live happily together for the rest of our lives. Let's celebrate that hope."  This new-fangled marriage serves almost no purpose. It's the step you take after "living together and testing sexual compatibility," and it signals a hope for eternal happiness. But it can be broken and cast aside if need be. It's practically pointless.

Heck, if you just really want a certificate and a really expensive, crowded ceremony, all you need is a computer, a printer, and an assembly hall.  Nobody's going to stop a minister from pronouncing you "married."

But once upon a time, marriage served a function. The marriage of two people, a man and a woman, was not merely the joining of two people in love to support each other through good and bad; marriage served the society. A man and a woman in marriage love each other and procreate.  New children, new members of society, new citizens are born and raised in this construct, taught and trained and nurtured for adult life. And that is why the government has a duty to protect and support the family structure - it is good for society and builds society.

My stance is not going to be popular but I know this is true: children need a mother and a father. That is true biologically and it is true psychologically. Children can survive without one or even both of their parents, but it is more difficult for them. For example, young boys often suffer, these days, because of the absence of a father. Sometimes another male father-figure in their life helps them stay on the path, but studies have shown that children usually do better with both their parents.

Of course, that is ideal. Sometimes, that can't always be. But a homosexual union fails to fulfill the goals of marriage completely. They cannot procreate children, and children they raise have two of one gender and are denied their need for the other. Furthermore, a man or a woman is used to create a child on demand and then never participates in the life of that child again.  Their motherhood or fatherhood of the child is denied. The child grows up not knowing who they came from, their background, or their origins.  They don't know who they are.  They don't have roots.  This will sound harsh, but the biological parent essentially seems to say, from the perspective of the child's heart, "I don't love you.  You were created for the pleasure of your homosexual guardians.  Have fun with your life."  Even adopted children have to deal with that phenomenon, never mind a child brought into the world through a surrogate mother.

If you are homosexual and want to live with your significant other, I can't stop you. But you don't need marriage. Marriage serves to create and bring up new people in a stable home, ideally, with both a mother and a father. Science has shown, testimonies have shown that children need that. [And yes, that affects how I feel about divorce as well.]

And society suffers if it defines marriage as whatever you want it to be.  Because the children suffer.

I'm not anti-love.  I'm pro-marriage.

4 comments:

  1. You seem to have a certain view of how marriage should be. But this is not a Christian nation, and there is a separation between church and state.

    Christianity does not own marriage. Marriage existed before christianity, and it exists in many other cultures and religions.

    Children can live perfectly healthy lives with single parents. This goes for gay parents as well. Their children grow up feeling loved and supported. The people I know of with gay parents have lived very fulfilling lives. They receive nothing but love and support from their family. To say their family is somehow less whole than that of a family with straight parents is simply not true.

    You say "the marriage of two people, a man and a woman, was not merely the joining of two people in love to support each other through good and bad; marriage served the society. A man and a woman in marriage love each other and procreate."

    So, if a woman could not have children, would you view her marriage as pointless? I have always thought marriage was about the union between two people who love each other. Producing children should not be necessary. What if one or both of the people in the relationship are asexual? Would their marriage be meaningless?

    Perhaps reproduction was important in the past, but it isn't the past anymore. There is less of a need to reproduce now, especially considering the issue of human overpopulation.

    Gay parents cause no harm to our society. You may argue that they do not contribute to society, since they cannot reproduce (although recent scientific advancements have made this possible, or it is in the process of being made possible). But they do not take away from society. They do not affect you by being in love and being together. Their marriage isn't hurting anyone. In fact, gay parents can help society a lot, by adopting babies that need a home.

    I'm sure the child adopted by gay parents will "have fun with their life". And they will grow up being far more open minded and far less judgmental.

    I would apologize for being snippy, but this is something I feel very strongly about, and I can't help but be upset by this post, no matter how hard I try not to get too worked up and cause drama. I like you very much as a person and enjoy reading your blog, although I have not been around for a while, but I really cannot keep from getting heated about this subject, as it is a very emotional and personal topic for me.

    Honestly, I am very anxious about posting this comment, but I really cannot remain silent on this subject. I will probably regret posting this, but I'm going to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you bring up Christianity because I specifically try to leave that out of such discussions. But I suppose I'm always a Christian and it shows.

      I'm glad you stood up for what you believe. I respect that, and I apologize for pinching a nerve.

      Thanks for your comment :)

      It hurt a little to be called judgmental because I don't hate anyone for being different from me. I try to base my decisions on science and logic and so on. Maybe I'm not perfect, maybe I'm wrong, but I specifically try not to be judgmental.

      Well, but thank you for your rebuttal. If you don't mind though, I won't argue with you. It wouldn't be helpful, I think.

      Delete
    2. I have had time to reflect on this and I feel my comment on being judgmental was hurtful and crossing a line. I apologize. I think you're a very kind person, but our different views clash and because I feel strongly on this topic, I find it very hard to keep my cool. I was especially emotional at the time I wrote this comment, due to the recent legalization of gay marriage in every state, which I was overjoyed about since it has been something gay people and supporters of the gay community have fbeen fighting for for such a long time.

      I won't go into it again, but yeah. I think I could have argued my position in a more professional way.

      Delete
    3. I can appreciate that, thank you for your honesty. For someone who feels very strongly about this and was very frustrated with me, I actually think you were really good at being reasonable.

      Again, thanks for your comment, even though we disagree

      Delete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...