Sunday, November 4, 2012

Alfred Hitchcock and others....




I am continually baffled by my blog stats.  My movie review of Eragon is repeatedly my most popular post.  No one leaves any comments, but without fail, when I check my viewer count, I've been getting the most traffic through that review.  It wasn't even that great a review!  But it gets the most attention on almost a daily basis.  Bizarre.





______________________________

Well, this is the last day of my fall break – my four day, as it's called.  I didn't do anything particularly exciting.  All my friends have gone home or with friends or on a retreat.  Campus is surprisingly quiet.  I walked from my dorm to the J.C. without seeing anyone on the way.  The caf is nearly deserted.  There's been only one Mass per day since Thursday and everyone fit in the Chapel.  Usually there are three Masses a day with standing room only.  Even more surprisingly, I'm bored silly, lonely, and I wish something was going on.  By a queer turn of events, I am tired of watching movies and snuggling up in bed with cocoa and my knitting.  I've hated it almost from the first.

What's more, I thought I slept right through the morning Mass, only to just remember that we gained an hour last night!  ARGH!!!

I mean, it's good that we have an extra hour because I've been up late every night this past week, and especially last night.

I'm a big fan of David Tennant – he enchants me every time.  This weekend, I watched a TV miniseries called "He Knew He Was Right."  It was pretty good.  Tennant played a fickle clergyman (apparently the stereotype for period pieces).  I also watched him (twice) in a cute romantic comedy called "The Decoy Bride."  That was also good, but not for children, I should warn you.  It takes place on a Scottish island – loved the accents.  Loved David Tennant.

I also wasted a couple of hours on a TV comedy called "The IT Crowd" about the nerds in the IT department.  It was awful, and I realized it wasn't going to get any better and quit.

I watched Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder," which was as good as any of his work.  So if you like Hitchcock, you'll like this movie.  If you don't, you won't.

I almost forgot but I watched David Tennant in "Hamlet," which was astounding!  I don't remember what site it was that I watched it on, but you can watch it here on the PBS website.  It is truly one of the "Great Performances."  Although the original wording remains intact, it's set in a kind of "modern" Denmark, which means jeans, cameras, and modern crude humor in a few instances.  I was disgusted once or twice (especially during the play Hamlet sets for his uncle), and it is not for young audiences, but adults will love it.  I fell in love with Hamlet (which I'm sure had nothing to do with the fact that he was played by David Tennant).  I finally understood what Shakespeare was trying to convey in his writing.  I'm planning on going back to his plays and trying to understand them.

I also began watching "Once Upon a Time," that very popular TV series.  I liked it okay, but I guess I'm a SciFi fan at heart.  Not to mention that stories that take place in "modern times" don't grab me half as much as imaginary or past times and worlds.  But I grant you, it's good.  Had me wanting to stay up all night to find out what happens.  The plot, scenes, and costumes are fantastic, but you don't need me to tell you that.

I also watched "Much Ado About Nothing."  I grew up listening to that soundtrack so I loved watching what went with the music.  There was just enough in there for me to understand why my mother didn't show it to me when I was little, but it is such a great film!  I loved it from beginning to end – with just a few momentary exceptions.  Only Shakespeare could come up with such a simple and beautiful, and funny, story.

I think there were more but I can't remember them.  I was disappointed to find that "Corpse Bride" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" were not available for instant streaming on Netflix.  I wonder if I could find them elsewhere online, but I didn't look.

I have finished watching Dr. Who up through the sixth season.  Each actor gives it a new flavor.  After watching David Tennant, I thought I could never go back to Matt Smith – but turns out I could!  They're both charming in their own way.  I liked Christopher Eccleston, but there were aspects of that first season that just didn't strike me as well as the later seasons.  I suppose, though, that's in line with the storyline, because the Doctor's values improve over time, don't they, with each new companion.  My next step is go through them again and figure out which ones to show to my siblings, if any.  There are a few that I came across and cringed because I could never bring that into the house.  But there are a few episodes that I almost have to show them – like "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe."  After I figure that out, I want to go back and watch the originals, so I can call myself a true fan.

Anyway, that's been my weekend.  My snack drawer is now empty, I've lost about five pounds, and I'm as stiff as a door.  On the plus side, I look great, and I loved all of it.  I wish I could have shared it with someone, but my roommate was either watching her own thing or, the latter half of the weekend, with her friend literally 24/7.  My best friend left for a retreat on Friday afternoon.  We had a great Thursday evening: "Rear Window," Dominoes pizza (which was so good!), popcorn, "Singing in the Rain," chocolate chip cookies, and praise and worship.  I told her she should come visit my parish sometime.  Our small group leader would love to hear how well our voices fit together.  We experimented with all kinds of harmony – she knew some, I knew some – it was so pretty.

Now I should get on with my day.  I want to practice singing, do some ballet exercises, actually go down to the caf for a meal, wash my dishes, work on my story, and watch more movies.  ;)

~Meggy

2 comments:

  1. I get that sort of thing on my stats bar too. It happens when internet robots hit upon anything with parts of your title in it, but I'm sure you know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just curious that "Eragon" is so important. Fascinating. :?

      Delete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...