Sunday, July 29, 2012

Victoria (23)

“I think you’re wishing Ijna and I will take it — a boy or girl?”
    “I shouldn’t think to know,” the black rider replied.  “Would you take it?  At least until I have the girl off my hands.  Then my hands would be free to surreptitiously find a place for the child.”
    “I’m sure Ijna would not mind,” said Elia warmly.  “He came from a large family, you know, and hopes to have the same if we can ever get ourselves above this awful place.  But how many years is the child?”
    “Probably less than one,” said the black rider.  “She’s in my room with the captive girl I’ve brought back.  She’ll need a nurse soon.”
    “I will take her,” Elia agreed.
    “Thank you,” he said, tapping his fingers on his throat.  “I’ll be back in a moment.”  He turned and stepped out the window and in three strides was back in his room.  The squirrel chattered as he entered.
    Aritka was sitting cross-legged on the floor, her soft wool skirt pulled up so her tall leather boots were clearly visible.  The fussing baby lied across her lap and an open book was in her hands.  Her hair was falling around her face and her brow was furrowed over her pretty eyes.  “Come.  I’ve found a nurse for the child.”
    Aritka stood but she seemed uncertain.  “There is someone who will take care of the child?” she said.
    “They will take care of her for the time being,” he said.  “I’ll check with them again once… later.”
    When she stood few feet from him, she met his eyes for a moment and said, “Will she have a nice home?”
    “Yes,” he said simply.
    She stretched out her arms, gazing down at the child.  “Then you may have her.”
    Cursing himself for hesitation, he took the child in his own arms.  “Put the cloak on my shoulders,” he said.  “I need to conceal the child.”  Aritka silently went back to the books and, kneeling, lifted the cloak from the place it had fallen when it slid off her shoulders.  Without looking up at him even once, she fastened it around his neck, reaching up high to get it around his head which stood over hers.  It wasn’t until she reached back and pulled the hood over his head that she met his eyes.  In her eyes was an expression that hadn’t read there yet since he knew her.  With a growing nag in his heart, he slowly came to the truth.  “You’re depending on me to be trustworthy.  You’ve become attached to this child.”



To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...