Monday, July 16, 2012

Supplement Your Summer: Etymology

Fortuitous - an interesting word.  I find words as interesting, perhaps more so, than any other subject.  I use "fantastic" and "fabulous" most often in relation to their root-words of "fantasy" and "fable" respectively.  Notice that fortuitous looks like fortune.  I got the following from my dictionary:



ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin fortuitus, from forte ‘by chance,’ from fors ‘chance, luck.’

USAGE The traditional, etymological meaning of fortuitous is ‘happening by chance’: a fortuitous meeting is a chance meeting, which might turn out to be either a good thing or a bad thing. In modern uses, however, fortuitous tends more often to be used to refer to fortunate outcomes, and the word has become more or less a synonym for ‘lucky’ or ‘fortunate.’ This use is frowned upon as being not etymologically correct and is best avoided except in informal contexts.

Interesting, is it not?

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...