Saturday, July 21, 2012

How Do I Love Thee

Home is behind
The world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow
To the edge of night
Until the stars are all aligned
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shame
All shall fade
All shall fade

If my memory serves me correctly, this is, word for word, Pippin's song in one of the 'Lord of the Rings' movies, and it was based on a poem in the book.  A very hauntingly beautiful piece.  I sang this two or three times, softly to myself during campfire last night.



A star slept
The sky rests
Flickering candles lit
One wink
A blink
Heavenly emit

Stars are
Stars were
Stars ever
Traveling
Endlessly
Timelessly

Centuries past
Queries asked
Finding way back home
Always same
Never change
And we still have far to go


Last night, after campfire, my father and I stayed outside and watched as the sky steadily littered itself with stars.  Truly beautiful, I remember thinking, and "no wonder we want to be out there".  Centuries ago, no one could possibly understand what the heavens were.  Now, we know it is a whole other world out there.  One that hasn't been explored, one that we don't understand.

"Space: the final frontier.  ....To boldly go where no man has gone before."


Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches

I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me


Those stars, and all the planets and moons for that matter, in our galaxy, are all going in the same direction at apparently the same speed, so that centuries after the first constellation was named, we can still effectively navigate by them and recognize the original patterns from so long ago.  Space holds so many mysteries.  Mysteries, which are so far beyond us, far beyond anything we've tried to discover before.  We had never before left our planet.  For an unknown number of years, man has always been Earth-bound.  Then, in the late twentieth-century AD, we touched the moon.

I find it fascinating how far we came in the twentieth century, and how much we seem to have slowed down since then.  But perhaps that is because I am looking back at the quick evolution of cars to suddenly a space ship, and now I'm seeing almost complete uniformity in automobiles, phones, and other gadgets and I am distinctly unimpressed.  I highly recommend going to a brass-age car museum and learning about the individual creativity that was going on in that era.  While it could be argued that many of those vehicles, while each unique in their own right, look very similar to each other, the point I'm trying to make is that we do not seem to have come very far in some areas.  Everyone wants to be faster, sleeker, more powerful, more like what everyone else offers so they can compete, but I see little individuality.

But now I've left space completely, haven't I?  And we're breaking camp today - my presence is needed elsewhere.

The road goes ever on and on,
Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...