Sunday, July 1, 2012

Victoria (19)

    Aritka looked down at the child in her arms.  “So what shall I do with the child?” she asked a second time.  “I will not abandon it willingly.”
    “I would not have you do so,” he said.  “I rent a room in public housing and I have neighbors who will take her.  When I left my village, there was an expectant mother in the room adjacent to mine.  She will take your child.”
    “You are merciful,” said Aritka, but had she really believed that, she would have expected him to turn around and take her home.  Now, however, such a thing seemed impossible.  They could not get all the way back through Ganjak territory to Kinly, especially with the Rikaks of the Ganjak tribe looking for them.
    The black rider did not bother with rope.  Aritka was clever and would know the foolishness of trying to run away.  Out of the corner of his eye, he could see that she had accepted her future.  He didn’t morn the loss of his horse either because he knew Latvita knew his way home.  And he suspected he’d have to find a new public housing complex.  His sketchy business needed to be kept far from his estate but suspicions were arising among his neighbors.
    “We’re in Jinaj territory now,” the black rider said after a while.  “It’s not far.”  They were standing on upland and the village was below them in a valley.  Aritka saw the grey turrets rising among the trees.  “You’re not to mention my name there,” he added sharply.
    Aritka was disgusted and insulted.  “Of course not, sir,” she said.
    Once more, he turned to look at her.  “I know you wouldn’t,” he said.  “Don’t be offended.”



To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...