Saturday, September 3, 2011

Megamind

A Movie Review by Magdalen Aithne Arkwright

A pleasant surprise!  Typical, and yet not.  The story of a super villain.  A kid sent to earth from another planet without, what would usually be called, "supernatural powers", and yet he has a mechanically-minded brain.  He grows up under the oppressive shadow of the kid who comes to be known as "Metro Man".  He decides, as any of us might, that he must be made for badness, since that's all he seems to be able to do.

A charming and heartwarming film for the whole family.  Megamind's big, green eyes warm your heart immediately.  Of course, he's adorable as a baby, but it may be safe to say that he's even more adorable as a child, and maybe more as an adult - if that's possible.  The emotions in this movie are deeper and feel more real than most movies are able to portray.

Evil always loses, good always wins.  As long as there is evil, good will rise up against it.  Destiny is not a path chosen for us, but a path we choose ourselves.  These are all part of the theme of the movie, and they are all demonstrated clearly.  Some who over analyze morals might say that Megamind's adherence to lies and deceit is unhealthy and dangerous.  But in the end, Megamind even repents of all the lies he lived.

If you were put off by something you saw in a trailer, you may be surprised about what it really was.  I felt that some aspects of the movie were misrepresented in the trailers, and in certain cases, I suspect it was done deliberately to attract certain kinds of people.

This one receives a D because I am concerned about Hal's language and the movie is a little scary.  Furthermore, the movie gets a 9.5/10 with 100% satisfaction, for, although I hated to use half points, I felt the script ought to loose points for Hal's questionable vocabulary.  (Note: Hal exposes some childhood fantasies as fake.)

~Meggy




 


Warning!  From here on, mega-spoilers.
(Believe it or not, I didn't intend that pun.^)
[One commenter said "This was cute :) and sad :(", and as I watched it the second time, I found myself almost in tears - weird.  It is sad.  (The best part is 1:00 to 1:05)]

 
This is my alarm now - lol! ("smiley face") 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...