Friday, June 17, 2011

Black Fly Bites

As you may have guessed from a previous post (about four posts back I think), I was recently camping.  Black flies were still very abundant in this area and I got bitten at least once every foot or so along my body.  I can ignore the impulse to scratch and most are not really a problem unless one is very determined to be noticed which they usually all are at one point throughout the day.

The only one that is really a problem is one right next to my right eye on the side of my nose.  Yesterday morning, I saw in the looking glass that my right eye was half closed on one side.  Since I was going out that morning, I fretted what to do and I looked it up online.  I did not have much time before I had to leave and found nothing especially helpful for my case, although I found a site that was informative on many different kinds of bites complete with pictures.

However, I had dealt with bee stings before and I knew that baking soda brought down the swelling and erased the other mild symptoms.  So I quickly stirred it together with some water and went on my way, holding it on a tissue to my eye as we went.

It's swollen a little this morning, but the message of the story is baking soda works on everything.  I rubbed off the hardened baking soda mix on my arrival and looked almost as good as new.  My hair was a bit unkempt and my bangs hung down in front of my eyes a little so it hid the mark well and I was very pleased, if still very tired from camping and hurrying about.

There is no set recipe, so far as I know.  I believe that the water is just to make the baking soda into a sticky paste so that it doesn't get all over the place like flour, although I could easily believe that the water initiates the properties you so desire.  However it may be, it works very well and the bite didn't bother me again until late that day.  If you have any insect bites, I highly recommend you try this.

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...