Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Romance

A romance now I must relay.
I’ll do it soon, without delay!
Give me now Thy hand to kiss
While I tell of my soul’s secret bliss.

There once was a king in fine command
Who had a great son whom he fed with his hand
And this Prince was handsome and generous and kind
And was like his father in body and mind

The two were so alike and their love grew
No one could love as much as those two!
And all the townspeople watched with pleasure
When the Prince rode home from battle, all weathered.

One day this Prince, looking down on the street,
Saw a poor pauper girl, in mud knee-deep.
There was mud in her hair and mud on her dress
And she hadn’t any food, or stockings, no less!

And within the Prince’s bosom a fire enkindled
As he looked with love out the castle window;
His heart was ravished by one look from this girl
In one moment she was more precious than pearls.

Away rode the messenger to bring her the news
That she herself the Prince did choose
If she would consent to his bride be,
He’d make her his Queen and sovereign lady.

The girl didn’t hesitate, though she was confused
She hurried along without stockings or shoes
She washed and changed into golden things
And, just like that, she was led to the King.

The King, without knowledge of his son’s love
As soon as he saw her knew she was the one
He led her to the Queen, who gave her jewels.
And sent her to the Prince without more ado

And as the prince beheld his lovely bride
His heart burst with joy, and he almost died
He fell on his knees and held up a ring
And her solemn “yes” made his heart sing.

This poor pauper girl is now a Queen
And profoundly loves her husband and King
He sings to her softly, sometimes, at night
And loves his Queen with all his might.

I close the book with wonder and grace
And imagine the Prince with love in his face
But then I stop, for lo! can it be?
The story is really of Jesus and me!

-By Kathleen Felder
To read more great poems, read the Warrenton Quarterly!

~Meggy
[Note: I am in no way affiliated with this poem.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...