Tuesday, October 1, 2013

We're Moving!

Okay, here's the lowdown.  This is not an entirely easy decision for me, but Magic, Ink, and Dreams/Ginger and Rubies/Marcmire is losing its usefulness.  I've been watching other people transition to new blogs and I just sort of goggled them in bewilderment.  Their new blog wasn't radically different from their old one – why didn't they just overhaul their old one?

But now I think I understand.

This blog is kind of a mess.  Like a journal you've been using for a long time, it's falling apart at the seams and contains a lot of different material.  I've "overhauled" it a couple different times and I'm just not happy with it.  It's too cluttered and messy.  Only a complete demo and rebuild would do, I feel like – but there's still some good material here.

So while I'm trying to decide what to do with "Marcmire" (returning to "Magic, Ink, and Dreams" is an option I'm considering – theme as well as title), I've started a new blog.

"[Experience] Our Hearts [Wholly] Unhindered" is partially a more serious blog and partially a more grown-up blog.  "Our Hearts Unhindered" (working title?) will be for those posts I have written and will write that address real world problems, such as Busting Franciscan Myths, Ridiculous Facebook, Confidence Quotes, and perhaps re-blogged articles from other blogs (with the proper attribution).

If I continue to use this blog, it will be for the other stuff – the stuff that reads like I threw-up on the page; the stuff that is just my geeky, awkward, spazzy little brain letting off steam.

One main problem I have with this blog is my audience.  I'm not too sure that I really have one anymore; my stats have jumped into unbelievable numbers, but I'm fairly convinced these page views are mainly bots crawling my pages.  And what's more, I think most of my "audience" is either still in that blogging phase that I've left behind, or has moved on and left me behind.  Either way, I've lost my audience.

And what's more, I want more out of blogging.  I want to reach people and get comments by people who come to my blog for a specific topic I've written about – and not just because I'm in a blogosphere of young writers journaling about their lives and getting super excited reading about others' lives.  That was fun once, but I honestly don't have time to read posts about the daily walk you took this morning.  Not unless it has a point.

And I don't need that kind of outlet anymore.  (Praise my Heavenly Daddy for His blessings these past few years.)

So… to those of my loyal readers who still keep up with this blog, this post is for you.  Thank you bunches, and I'll try to keep this updated with random thoughts that come to mind – but it's getting harder to do.  I used to write about things that happened in my daily life, but it didn't used to necessitate hiding identities or trying to be vague to avoid embarrassment.

But at the same time, "Our Hearts Unhindered" isn't the place for spazzing – and sometimes I want to.  So the future of "'Marcmire'" is unclear.  As you are the one who reads this stuff, I'd love to hear what you think – if indeed, "you" exist.

And that's how that goes.

The address of the new place is http://ourheartsunhindered.blogspot.com if you wanna check it out and give me feedback (if you want to comment on appearance or anything not directly related to the posts there, please comment back here).  It's a work in progress and it's not officially "published" yet, so to speak, but it should be ready soon.

Thank you, anyone and everyone, for reading anything I've written over the years.  I've come a long way… and it still awes me to think about it.  Truly, I could not be more grateful for how far I've come.

~Meggy

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having one place for spazzing and another for what I call "real" posts. As for the new blog, I like just plain "Our Hearts Unhindered." It's a lovely name and flows well, and I just think adding "experience" and "wholly" make it too long and involved. Personal opinion, of course.

    Are all those pageviews really bots? O.O I get a lot too, and knew that some of them were bots, but it's kinda bummer if most of them are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure, but looking at my most recent statistics, it's the only thing that makes sense. I haven't suddenly gotten brilliant, but my page views spiked last month to almost twice what they've ever been. So I can't say for sure, but I'm getting a lot of referral from vampirestat.com and very few keyword searches or anything of that sort. :/

      Delete
    2. As for spazz-blogging, I don't know how I like that because it seems like a waste of everyone's precious time – and who am I that I think my random craziness belongs on the Internet?

      Delete
  2. I read it!!! Your audience does exist, after all! But the idea of two blogs, one for craziness and one for reality, is excellent, and I'll go right over to your new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks, you guys! I appreciate your support and I apologize if I made you sound insignificant.

    Do you have any thoughts on what I should do about the title?

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...