Saturday, October 29, 2011

Good Old Manners

I read the following post about manners, and it reminded me of a time not to long ago when I saw 'Easter Parade' for the first time and I couldn't figure out what Fred Astaire was doing.

It didn't take me long to realize that he was waiting for the lady.  This made me think about all the nice things that guys - and girls - used to do just on a regular basis.  Now, when I approach the church door with a heavy guitar case in my hand, it's a rare occasion for someone to hold the door for me.  Many have excuses and I don't blame them, but how wonderful would it be for someone to catch up with me to hold the door open, or to wait for me at the door so they could hold it open when I got there.  I generally hold the door open for others, even if I am loaded with a guitar, because I've been doing that as long as I can remember.  I also have a life-long obsession with impressing older people.

And what if the men stood back and waited for the women to go before them.  My dad waits for the family to go before him - always has.  What if you saw that more often?  It's more common in older generations, but what about in the current coming-of-age generation?

What if men held the lady's chair for her?  What if children didn't talk over their parents?  What if they were taught they're not the center of everyone's universe?  How glorious would it be if everyone had a kind of etiquette script to use for each occasion?  I often find myself in a room with someone I don't know entirely well, and I wonder if it's polite to ask them something or if I should say something first.  I don't know if I should go on talking about me or if I should switch the conversation over to them.  Perhaps I'm overly self-conscious.  That has long been one of my faults.  Still, wouldn't it be nice to know that what you're doing pleases others?  Wouldn't you like to do something that seems polite and know that you're not being over the top?  Or under the bar?

There must be a least one scene from a movie in your head of a guy holding a door, or offering to help carry something, or standing when a lady enters the room.  That would be a lovely little addition - for men to stand when ladies enter the room.

Oh, and how splendid it would be to have the pressure of introducing myself!  Wouldn't it be lovely if someone you knew introduced you to the others and instead of taking on the task yourself?

We're in a new age, and some people seem to think that means that using old manners and techniques would be backtracking.  Maybe you don't think you'd like to get all that "special attention".  When I think of how little attention people get these days, I feel a little down.  Each individual has value only from his own self.  Manners are declining.  It's each man for himself first, others second.



And while we're in the past, how would you like to see people dressed as nicely as they once were?

I think the vests and such are so attractive.  People today use their dress as an expression of self, and use this excuse to dress the way they do.  However, I charge you find an age when that has not been true.  These people, such as the ones in the pictures, were respectable and respectful.

I have nothing against jeans.  I'd be foolish and a hypocrite if I said I did.  Jeans are my most often donned attire.  Oh, but how I long to wear dresses like the left photo without seeming out of place!  Why can't it all be clothes of today instead of things of today and things of yesterday?


So those are my thoughts on all of this.  How I could fall in love with a man in a sweater and tie, with his hair combed neatly back.  I've been attracted to men with long hair of course.  The style in these photos aren't the only ones that are acceptable to my tastes.  But they certainly are nice, aren't they?

~Meggy

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, what a wonderful post!! I completely agree! There was so much more respect in those days, and if only we could bring it back today! Now when someone does act polite or dress nicely, it does makes him or her seem so out of place. I love to think that there are still people who continue to cling to those "good old manners"!
    Thanks for an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then, have you ever seen those families where all the boys have these plaid shirts tucked into their pants, with their hair combed neatly? And the girls are in these really simple and dated dresses? It's super creepy looking. So it has to be done correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, but if it's done correctly, it is SO nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...