Saturday, December 28, 2013

Bringing Jared In On It

Here's another snippet of the book I'm working on:

But Mrs. Coleman was inexplicably at the desk again.  “Hi, Ana!  Are you going out?” 
“Yes, ma’am, I’m going down to the grocery to get a few things for myself.”  Ana bit back an offer to run any errand Mrs. Coleman might have. 
“Alright.  Oh!  Did you turn in this sock and book?”  
“Yeah, I did, they were in the blue room,” said Ana.  “I put it down there in the ledger.” 
“Yes!  I saw that, I just wanted to be sure.” 
A pause and Ana smiled.  “Sure.  Okay, well, I’ll be back a little later I guess.” 
Mrs. Coleman smiled.  “Alright, Ana.  I’ll keep supper for you.” 
“Oh, don’t bother,” said Ana.  “If I’m out past time, I’ll buy something at the grocery.” 
“Jared will probably be happy to share with you whatever he’s made for himself,” said Mrs. Coleman.  “He usually offers, he’s a good boy. 
Ana’s cheeks flushed.  “I might do that,” she answered, “if he offers.  Well, I’ll be back later.”
“Alright, stay warm!” 
“I will!” Ana called over her shoulder, shutting the door.  The odious air hit her like skunk’s spray.
But what luck, the governor was heading for the inn. 
“Mr. Feldman!  Um….  How are you?” 
“Ana!  Well, I can’t complain.  How are you?”  He pushed his top hat back off his forehead. 
Ana smiled.  “I’m doing well.  Sir, I was actually wondering something….  I’m glad I bumped into you.  I was wondering if I could get into the castle library.” 
“Oh.  Oh!”  Mr. Feldman looked up at the dark sky, adjusting his glasses.  “Um well, you see….  No, I’m afraid not.  I just don’t have the time to take you.” 
“Well, see, I was fascinated by some of those books,” said Ana, “and so I was hoping if you could just let me in for a few hours….  I just want to leaf through some of those tomes if I may.” 
He used his hands to punctuate his answer.  “Hmm, well, see….  I don’t know that I can really let you do that.  Anyway, I certainly can’t let you… browse around in there by yourself.  I’d have to be with you and I just don’t have the time right now.  Maybe next week, or next month!  I just haven’t time.” 
“Okay.  Okay, well, thanks anyway,” said Ana.  “Um….  Well, good evening, sir.” 
“Good evening, Ana.  I’m sorry about that.” 
“Oh!  It’s okay.  Thanks anyway.” 
Mr. Feldman went into the warm inn and disappeared behind the door. 
No one else was out just now.  The chill biting at her face, Anna ran across the street to the grocery.  The doorbell rang over her head as she went in, and the warmth from the stove was pleasing and welcoming.  Jared stood by it, stirring stew in his cast iron pot.  The carrots and the sausage simmered together with the green tomato relish in such a pungent way. 
“Hello, Ana,” said Jared, his face a blank.  “I saw you coming, what can I get you?” 
Ana glanced around the store.  “Well, nothing for now,” she said, “I just want to look around.”  She picked up a large skillet and weighed it in her hand.  Then she put it down.  Then she picked up a wooden spoon.  “How are you?” 
“Oh, I’m doing well,” said Jared.  “Business has been slower lately, because of the cold, of course, but people still stop by to get warm and chat, so life’s not too dull so far this winter.” 
Ana put down the wooden spoon.  “That’s good.  How is your family?”  The stove was alluring warm so she crept up close to it.
“They’re doing alright.”  Jared poked around in his pot with his spoon.  “I bet you could smell this across the street, couldn’t you?” 
“Yeah, in my bedroom, actually,” said Ana.  “But that was about half an hour ago, isn’t it done?” 
“Well, I think it is, just about,” said Jared.  “Would you like some?” 
“Oh, I would love some, if you don’t mind,” said Ana. 
He reached over and took up the first of two bowls.  “Here you are – my pleasure.”  He filled his own bowl. 
“It’s very good,” said Ana.  “Thank you.” 
“You think so?” he said.  He tasted it for himself.  “Yeah, it’s not bad.  Um, so I saw you talking to the judge.  May I ask what about?” 
“Umm….”  Ana took another mouthful of soup. 
“If you don’t want to tell me, you don’t have to,” said Jared. 
“Oh no, I was just asking if I could get back into the castle library because… well….”  
Ana pursed her lips.  “Do you know why it smells so bad some of the time?” 
“No one does, I don’t think,” said Jared. 
“Well….  I want to get into the castle library and see if I can’t find some of those chronicles again.  There’s something just not quite… right about this town.” 
“What do you mean?” Jared asked. 
She looked up at him.  “Well….  I don’t know, exactly, but there are some things that just don’t seem right.  I mean, no one can explain the smell to me.  The whole castle thing is shrouded in hazy mystery….  And the animals….  Well.  There aren’t enough of them, or there’s too many of them….  But I’ve encountered several fantastic beings in the woods.” 
Jared perked up.  “You mean the elves?” 
“You’ve seen them too?” 
“Sometimes, when I’m out hunting, I see them hunting or just sitting in a tree.  I don’t know if they see me.  If they do, they don’t acknowledge me.” 
“Have other people here seen them?” 
“Not that I’ve heard,” said Jared, “and I’ve kept an ear open.”
“Well, it’s not just elves, either,” said Ana.  “I’ve seen… other things.  Things I’ve never seen before so I’m not sure what they are.  And I’ve seen fairies, and I’ve certainly encountered pixies.  Anyway, it seems strange.” 
“I agree.” 
“Okay, well, I was thinking that some of the books in the library might have some clues.  But Mr. Feldman won’t let me in.”
Jared took on the look of an imp.  “You could go in anyway,” he suggested. 
Ana smiled.  “Well, I was planning to,” she admitted.  “But I don’t know how, so I’ll have to figure that out.” 
Jared smiled.  “Well… I–I think I can help you with that.” 
Ana looked up at him, a grin spreading over her face.  “Yeah?” 
Assuredly, he said, “I think so."

Any thoughts?

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...