Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Request to Writers

Please don't treat readers like they can't figure it out.

I love Diana Wynne Jones' books, but there are definitely lines and passages where I cringe and wonder, "Were you even trying?"  Her stories are wonderfully imaginative and they inspire me to write, inspiration which is very needed lately – but sometimes the way she phrases what she wants to say is just so… lame.  It was especially noticeable after I began reading her books aloud to my sister, and there were just some areas that I felt stupid saying aloud.  Granted, I think she's catering to a younger audience than me – certainly, my young sister found no fault with Jones – but even so, I have to wonder sometimes.

And I was thinking about it when I was writing this morning.

Well, that's all I have to say on that.

Next time, I think I'll talk about narrative voice.  Cuz it's awesome.

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...