Monday, December 17, 2012

"I Was There When It Was Written"

We have an incredible God.  He created everything we see around us and even everything around us we cannot see.  He made us, He made our personalities, He made the laws by which the world operates by, and keeps it going.  When I pray, I sometimes like to pledge my loyalty by putting my hand over my heart, and I just feel my heart beat as it pumps life throughout me.  Maybe because I'm small, it gives me a very real sense of vulnerability.  I read, once, that it is God's constant thinking of us that keeps us existing.  If ever He forgot about us – if ever He could – we would cease to exist entirely.  In a very real sense, God is always thinking of us.  He singlehandedly keeps the entire universe in actuality.

He created the laws of science, the laws of mathematics, the laws of aesthetics, and the laws of euphonies.  He made all things physical and intangible.  He has described emotions in the language we have never spoken, and we have personalities because that is how He loved us, thought of us, created us.  He placed us exactly where He needed us to be.  He has always known when, how, why we would come into being.  He has always known what, when, why we would fail.  He has always known what would be our saving grace.  He has always known when we would struggle, and He arranged those struggles to coincide with events that would help us.  He arranged those events to coincide with our struggles.  They have always been, because He is all-knowing, never planning.  When you pray to God for an answer, all the time, He knows what is about to happen to give you peace of mind.  He knew long ago what you would cry for and He arranged a gift to make you smile again.

That is why Christmas is such a mystery.  Obviously, God has absolute control over EVERYTHING.  He can do whatever He likes.  So why would He come in the form of a man in order to save us?  He knew before the beginning of time that Adam and Eve would turn away from Him, and that all their descendants would do likewise.  But He created each one anyway.  He could have prevented Adam and Eve from turning away from Him, but He didn't.  He could have incinerated the snake; He could have disolved the tree; heck, He could have used ultimate mind control to manipulate Eve's thoughts.  He could do that each time we have spite toward Him or His creation.  He could control us like puppets.

But instead, He became man.  He weaved Himself into the flesh of His own creation – becoming His own creation.  He suffered the trials of everyday life; He suffered rejection; He suffered mean thoughts and evil actions; He suffered more pain than most come anywhere close to – and He didn't have to.  But He loves us so much that He wanted us to make our own decision; He wanted our love for Him to be true; He wanted to be among us and share our trials, pain, and joys.

When He said to His followers, "You must eat my flesh and drink my blood," everyone left Him.  Paint the picture – God stood on earth, ready to die needlessly to save our souls, and He watched as everyone rejected Him.  And He let them.  He just let them.  He could have changed their minds for them without lifting a finger; but he didn't do that.  And who among us could do the same?  I know I wouldn't.  If I had that power, I know I would use it.

That's why Christmas is so exciting and miraculous.  "God-made-man" is mystery enough, but why God would trouble Himself on our level is beyond any of us – it's a love this earth may never comprehend again.

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...