Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Domine nos....

(Part One)

I'm learning my prayers in Latin!  My little sister's friends are also learning Latin, and I hear tell they have already memorized most of their prayers.  Well, I'm not going to be beaten by a seven-year-old!  Want to learn them with me?

This is one you (had better) use every day:

Benedic Domine nos et haec tua dona quae de summus largitate sumus sumpturi.  Per Christum Dominum Nostrum.  Amen.

Can you tell what it is?  If you'd like, you can download an audio file for you to listen to on this page, which has many other prayers as well.  If you know at least a little Latin, you could try to translate the above prayer, which helped me remember which words come in what order when.

I plan to learn this one and the after dinner grace before tomorrow evening's supper club if I possibly can - then we'll see who's smarter than whom!

~Meggy



(P.S.  Keep an eye out for a great recipe for lemon cake!)

1 comment:

  1. I love latin, even though I chose French for my highschool foreign language credit. I think that one that you posted is the Grace Before Meals... I'm guessing because of the "Benedic" ("Bless"), because it's short, and because you said you were going to learn the Grace After Meals next. :D

    I'd love to learn them along with you. I need to brush up on my basic Latin...going to the Latin Mass every week and not knowing the basics is disgraceful! :p

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...