Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mr. Holmes?


Now I'm like: No. Just no.


I watched the first episode of the second season and I was utterly disappointed and disgusted.  Sherlock got to be Sherlock for about ten seconds.  The rest of the time was about a woman who... well, I won't say exactly what she did for a living.  But it was less than honorable.  Sherlock was all over the episode, but he was stuck on this gross woman (who, by the way, introduced herself to him while naked).  It was a terrible episode and didn't really hold up to the reputation of the previous episodes.  The whole point of the episode is that Sherlock is a genius and likes to play detective.  In this episode, he played that role very, very little.  His relationship with the cute girl at the morgue blasted wide open at a Christmas party at the flat he and Watson share together, and not only was it a little odd the way he was carrying on but when he realized that she had dressed up for him, he actually showed some tenderness and kissed her cheek with an apology for being such an ass.  John's own brilliance was in it so deplorably little that I missed him.  Martin Freeman is one of the main reasons I'm here, after all.

It was nice to see more of Sherlock's tender side, which of course he has, but in response to his feelings, he threw a man out his window several times for breaking in and hurting Mrs. Hudson.  His feelings were understandable, but I was unable to find the humor in this – and no one reprimanded him for it.

On the other hand, we got to meet a little bit more of Mrs. Hudson.

And on another hand, our understanding of Sherlock's relationship with his brother increased.  I haven't decided whether or not I'm happy with the way their relationship was playing out in that episode.  Sherlock was very vulnerable and his brother was showing his usual concern, but it almost felt too abrupt to see them interacting with each other so much.

And on the knees (sorry, really bad pun in progress), there was The Woman.  And I beg, "Why The Woman?  WHYYYYYYY?"  And I break down and cry pitifully.

In case you don't know, these episodes are like two hours long.  But I had to watch another to make up for this atrocity.  I didn't end up finishing it, but the point is it was so bad, I had to watch another (assuming that this second episode would be better, of course, which was risky).

On the whole, I like this series.  I do.  But I cannot, in good conscience, recommend it.  There are too many remarks and suggestions and images that are intense and/or inappropriate.  Usually, the rest of the episode makes up for these little deficiencies, but that was not the case for A Scandal in Belgravia.

~Meggy

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodness me, I KNOW!!! SiB was HORRID!! I never rewatch that episode, although I obsessively rewatch the others. Luckily, the others in that season are actually two of my favourites. But, yeah, SiB, when I tell people to watch the series, I always tell them to watch the first five minutes (to figure out how the Great Game ended) and then move on to Hound of the Baskervilles. Not that they ever listen...But they always wish they did!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH RIGHT?!?! My sister and I were talking about it and there's something that we couldn't figure out (which I can't even remember now), but we looked at each other and we were like, "We're not watching it again just so we can find out." Like NEVVA! EVVA EVVA!! So. Bad.

      The Hound wasn't working so we actually skipped that one for the time being, but I loved the last one. They are such good actors, and Dr. Watson is so incredible. I thought they handled the whole thing so well – emotionally, I mean. It was spot on.

      Delete
    2. Reichenbach...WHY DON'T YOU JUST RIP OUT MY HEART AND HAND IT TO ME ON A SILVER PLATTER MR. FREEMAN!!!

      Delete
    3. RIght?! So, SO proud of him. It was AMAZING!

      Delete
  2. Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh. I looooooooove this show. I love Sherlock so much. I love it even more than Doctor Who. It's one of my favorite shows on BBC and Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are great in it.

    I'm almost afraid to admit that A Scandal in Belgravia is actually my favorite Sherlock episode. I think I can see why you did not like it, but I thought it was quite brilliant. I can clear up one thing, although you may already know this - Irene Adler introduced herself to Sherlock while naked in order to throw him off. They are competing with each other and she made sure to not leave him any clues (which clothing often supplies) that would lead to information about her. I think Irene is a really interesting character and I felt really really bad for her at a certain moment in the episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I can understand that. But it's not really what I was looking for in this series, so I didn't appreciate it. Still, you've helped me see it a little differently. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. And oh my gosh, YES, Cumberbatch and Freeman are AMAZING. I feel like all the main cast are perfect for this show.

      Delete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...