Friday, August 10, 2012

Hodge-Podge

It's nearing seven o'clock in the morning and I've been up for a very quiet hour.  I'm a morning person these days and I wouldn't go back to being a night owl, even though I sometimes try to be both, because of the hour or two I have to myself in the morning.  It also gets the day rolling so much earlier.  In the afternoon, even the people who are just kicking into gear get into a kind of "spiraling toward bedtime" routine.  At about three or four o'clock, at least one person will start watching TV, which means it's almost time to start dinner, and after dinner, "productive" stuff starts, but undoubtedly even the night owls aren't their most active.  Everyone's reading, watching TV, or on their computer - not doing anything terribly important, just passing the time until they must be in bed.  Since my dad got a new job and comes home later, the day has gotten that much longer as well because our "after dinner" routine doesn't start until much later.  We also don't have as much time before bedtime so there are fewer movie nights.  But anyway, the whole point of the paragraph was to say that I like getting up earlier in the morning (and if you need to tell your readers that, you're usually in pretty bad shape).

I can't see the sunrise from my window.  Although I get the morning sun on my side and we live on a hill, we are closely surrounded by trees and it isn't until about 7:30 in the morning at this time of year that the sun comes over the trees and lights up my room.


I've been busy getting ready for college and being ill for the last time for several months (I hope).  I've also been getting my school books in the mail.  I bought them on Abe Books using the ISBN number given when I looked up the text books on the Franciscan bookstore website.  Franciscan's prices were horrendous, especially when I could go over to Abe Books and get a new copy for less than Franciscan's "used" price.  My only concern is having the right edition, but I figure that, worst comes to worse, I can go to the bookstore on campus and buy it, right?

I'm a Listener, with a capital L.  In social situations, I like to listen to you talk.  I don't know why.  It is not logical as far as I can see, and I have no theories; but I'd just as soon listen to you instead of be involved in conversation.  Perhaps this is because my experience has been that people talk to me about me, which is my least favorite subject.  I will soon be leaving for college - in just under two weeks, in fact - and so college is the only thing anyone wants to talk to me about.  I value their advice, but I loathe repeating the same canned lines over and over: "The twenty-third.  ....  Driving.  ....  Yeah, I am.  ....  Just my parents.  My siblings are staying with friends."  And the worst part is acting like its the first time anyone asked me.  Them: "When do you leave?"  Me: "Uh... the twenty-third, a Thursday I think."  I know perfectly well that it's a Thursday.  Ideally, I will simply tell them what's on my mind, but not being a social person, I've programmed myself on how to respond to questions, and deviating from this method is almost like trying to make a computer think for itself - I'm far more likely to succeed than a computer, but I usually don't try.  My response should be something like, "Sometimes I'm nervous, sometimes I can't wait, and most of the time I'm just like 'eh, whatever'."  I actually did answer like that once, but it was to a close friend who was not just asking because it's the only subject we have in common.

Do you see the picture to the right?  Isn't it the cutest hat you've ever seen?  I'm knitting it with some gorgeous muted-red yarn I picked up some time ago.  It's really quite simple if you've had any experience knitting.  Even if you haven't, after you get the hang of knitting, I recommend this pattern.  I've linked the picture to the site if you're interested.

So there's just one more thing, I think.  Is anyone a fan of Dr. Who?  A lot of bloggers who share many interests with me also like Dr. Who.  Since I consider them to be generally sane and even wise at times, I trust their interest in it.  However, I have never seen anything of it, and upon trying to find something of it online, I came up empty and more confused than before.  It seems that generally speaking, everyone is interested in one particular "phase" of the show, if you will.  If I were to find a way to watch it, and on TV does not appear to be an option, what would I look for?

I haven't been having many comments lately.  None since the beginning of July - the seventh of July to be precise.  And upon closer examination, it was my own comment (in response to someone else).  Interestingly, my blog viewing is up, however.  I've reached new highs.  So, what, are you guys all on vacation???  I realize it's summer but let's not get sloppy, okay?  Undoubtedly some of my work deserves recognition - recognize it!  ;P  I do have a question, though.  Have I deviated from subjects that interest you?  I can honestly say that I like everything I've been writing about, but of course I do.  What I want to know is if I've been writing too much about Star Trek and other geeky subjects.  Looking back, I haven't posted anything except "Supplementing Your Summer" for several weeks.  Perhaps you had not personal interest in the subjects I chose?  I'm just curious.

~Meggy

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee...about commenting...sorry...I always mean to...but never have time. (blushes.)Not receiving comments is annoying and rather disturbing, isn't it? Very demoralizing. :( But I haven't really been blogging at all, anyways, and not really that much on the computer to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...