Sunday, March 18, 2012

Victoria (10)

             A Jakgrar knocked on the door.  “Open!” it growled.  Geneeva promptly opened the door for a tall creature.  It had the body of a Great Dane, but just over the forelegs grew the torso of man.  A savage face peered out of a bald skull and when it licked its lips with its great tongue, sharp fangs inside were revealed.  It peered around the room.  “How is it you are always brewing cologne?” it demanded.
            “We are perfume brewers,” said Gangar steadily.  “It is our living.  We are acknowledged far and wide for our perfume and must brew it constantly to meet the demands.”
            “Yes I know,” said the Jakgrar.  “You’ve told me so before.”  He paced the room silently, looking over everything, until he came to the fireplace.  “I’ve received word from a scout that there are trespassers on our fair ground.”
            “The friendly breed I hope,” said Gangar.
            “On the divergent,” said the Jakgrar viciously.  “I caught a scent and it led me here.”
            “We’ve not spotted anything of the sort,” said Gangar.
            The beast turned to Geneeva.  “I thought you might have, O woman glowering at the window.”
            “I’ve not seen any antagonistic intruders,” she said, looking out the window once more.  “Did you come alone this time?”
            “If you behave, there’ll be no need for biting,” he growled threateningly.
            “That is a great comfort to us poor simpletons, great Jakgrar,” Gangar mocked him.
            The Jakgrar did not realize he was being teased.  “It should well be,” he said, going to the door.  “You appear to be within the law.  If I catch you harboring fugitives, however, I will drag you off to my den.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...