Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wuthering Heights

Yikes!  Freaky story.  Seriously freaky.  http://juvenilepalaver.forumotion.net/ is doing a book club study on it, but man, where to begin???  This is a book of a different color and, believe me, I have no idea how to review it.


It's a rather pessimistic story, and all told by a servant who related it to the "narrator", or the "writer" Mr. Lockwood.  At the end, I'm stuck looking back for a hero or some feeling of satisfaction, but I can find none.  In the end, things are set to rights, but at what cost?  And was it worth it?  Was the ending really satisfactory?  The reader goes through the lives of several characters and when all is said and done, the story is about Heathcliff, but, to the reader's disappointment, life never looks up for him.  Even at his happiest, his happiness falls short of real happiness and the reader is left hanging, waiting for him to really be happy.  On the one hand, the story was about cruel reality; on the other hand, it's repulsively pessimistic.

The writing style, literary techniques, and faithfulness to character are compelling but, like many others, I'm stuck wondering - ................????

Any thoughts?

~Meggy

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read that book yet, but it sounds interesting. I've heard it's pretty dark and hard to understand.
    BTW, I LOVE your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...