Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott


Warning! spoiler:


I've just finished Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott.  I really enjoyed it and relished diving into a world that held the values I kept myself.  Rose was a perfect role model - almost too much so!  Rose is so honest and open.  She tries her best to be her best, and I think she well accomplishes it.

Phebe is a doll - so loyal and sweet and persevering.

Uncle Alec is my hero - so wise and good.

Mac is a perfect man - he is patient, passionate, real, and true.

Charlie represents the men I often see as the ideal, but which I sometimes realize fall short - passionate but unstable.

I found it a quite satisfactory, easy read.  The only problem I had with it was Rose's reaction to Charlie's death.  Although there were hints that she mourned his death, the only real sentiment that was described was relief now that he was off her hands.  Although emotional fits would change and complicate the story, it was somewhat disconcerting.  I would have been content if it mentioned her sorrow but Rose was strong enough that she didn't give into it.

Otherwise, it was lovely!  I wouldn't mind owning it.

~Meggie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...