Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rebecca

A Movie Review by Magdalen Aithne Arkwright

Rebecca, Hitchcock's first American film, is incredible.  I loved it.  There is a slight difference between the book and the movie, but I think I prefer the way the movie portrayed it.  (Note: don't watch the special features; it gives an unnecessary, twisted view of the movie and the original author)

Rebecca is about a young woman, who remains unnamed, who marries a social elite: "I've a very impressive array of first names, George Fortescu Maximilian."  As the second Mrs. de Winter, the narrator finds herself constantly under the standard set by the first Mrs. de Winter, a.k.a Rebecca.  Simply everyone pities Maxim - as those close to Mr. de Winter call him - for he seems much disturbed over his former wife's drowning.  But was the marriage really as happy as it is portrayed?  Ah, and Mrs. Danvers, the housekeeper, was so very attached to Rebecca and resents our protagonist.  But, finally, the mysterious presence of Rebecca, haunting the earth through those she left behind, is explained and conquered.

The narrator's simplicity and honesty, and her devoted love for her husband, make the movie wholeheartedly thrilling.

Rating: T
Points: 9
Satisfation: 10

[Note: after reading the book, I am very impressed with the faithful portrayal - almost to the letter with the exception of perhaps two major details]

~Meggy

1 comment:

  1. Ahh!!! I am so glad you enjoyed it!! I love that movie. It's so well done. =)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...