Monday, April 25, 2011

A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt

Have you ever read the play by Robert Bolt which he titled A Man for All Seasons?  I think it's quite good, although Robert Bolt's comprehension of the situation was somewhat lacking, since he was not Roman Catholic and so couldn't understand what Thomas More stood for, nor what England was breaking away from.  I think this gives Bolt an impersonal and unbiased place to stand, not being Catholic but admiring More all the same.  King Henry VIII's motives were obviously not noble, honorable, or applaudable - there were many ways he could have produced an heir besides illegally remarrying.  Catherine, his first wife, had a daughter afterall.  I suppose that could have still caused an uproar, but his actions in place of this caused an uproar even still.

~Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you are thinking of leaving a comment! I have turned off automatic comment moderation but I still read every single comment that is posted. I will delete any comments that are immature, rude, disgusting, or inappropriate. Please conduct yourself with honor and decorum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...